Understanding Why Rats Die Outside Houses After Eating Rat Poison

Sometimes we earn commission from qualifying purchases through affiliate links - at no extra cost to you.

Rats are a common pest problem for homeowners, and many people turn to rat poison as a solution to get rid of them. However, it’s not uncommon for homeowners to find dead rats outside their houses after using rat poison. In this article, we will discuss the reasons why rats die outside houses after consuming rat poison.

why do rats die outside after eating poison

How Rat Poison Works

Rat poison, also known as rodenticide, is designed to kill rats and mice by causing internal bleeding. The poison works by disrupting the normal functioning of the blood clotting system, leading to internal bleeding and ultimately death. There are several different types of rat poison available on the market, including anticoagulant and non-anticoagulant poison.

Anticoagulant rat poison is the most commonly used type of rat poison. It works by inhibiting the production of Vitamin K, which is essential for blood clotting. This leads to internal bleeding, which can take several days to cause death. Non-anticoagulant poison, on the other hand, works by causing a more immediate and severe reaction, leading to death in a matter of hours.

Why Rats Die Outside Houses

Rats are known to be territorial animals and they typically establish their nests close to a food source. When rats consume rat poison, they may feel sick and weak, and will often try to return to their nest to die. However, if the nest is located outside of the house, the rat may not make it back and will die outside.

Another reason why rats may die outside houses is that they may not have access to their nest or food source inside the house. If a rat consumes rat poison and is unable to find its way back to its nest or a food source, it will eventually die from starvation or dehydration.


In conclusion, the use of rat poison can be an effective way to control rat populations, but it’s important to understand that the rats may die outside of the house. This is due to their territorial nature and the effects of the poison on their health. It’s also important to properly dispose of dead rats to prevent the spread of disease.

Related Question

How long does it take rats to die after eating poison?

Ans: The time it takes for a rat to die after eating poison can vary depending on the type and amount of poison consumed. It can take anywhere from several hours to several days for a rat to die.

Do rats run around after being poisoned?

Ans: Rats may display symptoms of agitation or disorientation before dying, and it is not uncommon for them to run around.

Can a rat survive being poisoned?

It is possible for a rat to survive being poisoned if it receives treatment in a timely manner.

Where do mice go to die after poison?

Ans: Mice and rats typically die in hidden places, such as within walls or in burrows. It is not uncommon for the dead rodents to emit an odor as they decompose.

Leave a Comment